Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day Decorations

Today we woke up bright and early and headed down to my parents house to cut flowers from the garden and make the arrangements for the gravestones.
I absolutely missed doing this and it was such a relaxing tradition. We made four arrangements: one for each of my mom's brothers headstones, one for her parents headstone and one for her grandparents headstone. After going through and cutting all the flowers and making the arrangements, we headed up to the cemetary.
We went all over and placed mums on most of her relatives graves while my dad assumed his normal position of telling whoever would listen how this person was related to this person and how that tied into our family and how they got here and that so and so was actually so and so's second wife when most thought she was the first. It was absolutely fantastic.
We had a couple mishaps. Jacob hit his head somehow and started bleeding but considering it stopped fairly soon, it wasn't too bad. Just enough to hurt. And we forgot the water buckets and crosses for my Grandpa Greenhalgh and Uncle Ned which signified that they served in the military.
Then it was back to my parents house for a BBQ in the sprinkling rain. It was nice to have all of our family together, even John came up for the weekend because he had it off. Aiden just ran around and kind of mooched off of anyone who was willing to give him food while I was able to just sit and relax and soak it all in.
That afternoon, Thomas volunteered to take Aiden up to Dennie's house while I stayed at my mom's so I could work on the quilt Tracy, my mom and I are making for Aiden. Apparently Aiden missed me a lot because he kept going from room to room, poking his head in and asking, "Momma?"

It is good to be loved.

No comments: