Saturday, August 20, 2011

It Happens Every Time..

I've worked at my place of employment for almost 15 months now and in that time, we have had our fair share of residents pass away and a fair share of those have happened on my shift. Some of them were near and dear to my heart from the first day I met them to the last day I cared for them and between putting on a brave face around the family while providing post-mortem care, I have had to sneak into a remote room, sit in the far corner and have a good cry for just a few seconds.

Others I have cared for, and for a while they may or may not have drove me up a wall (I can neither confirm nor deny that statement) but as their time came closer, I have tried to get over myself and take care of them as best as I am capable and something incredible happens:

You truly do develop a profound love for those in whom you serve.

And when it was their time to meet the Good Lord, I put on a brave face, offer assitance in any way I can, but all between sneaking into a remote room to have a good cry for a few seconds.

I am always impressed with the impact that they have on so many lives and I look forward to the day when I can meet them and truly know them for who they were in their prime and not as I cared for them. I will be eternally grateful for the opportunity I had to help them in their last days, but moreso will I be grateful to truly know them and to tell them thank you for everything they, and their families, have taught me over the last 15 months.

No comments: